Wednesday, January 29, 2014

Top 5 Places in 5 Minutes

Yo.  So I'm guessing you've probably read at least one top 5 list in your life.  You know the drill - I tell you my top 5 of whatever - in this case it's places I've been and loved.  You can read it and maybe, just maybe, you will want to visit these places one day.  So, uh, here we go.

#5 - Portland, Oregon
"Keep Portland Weird," is something I read off of cars on their bumper stickers. That statement couldn't be more true. Portland is one of my favorite cities - it's so different and special all in one. Although the grey weather bothers many people, it doesn't phase me at all. In fact, I kind of enjoy it.  The first thing I can tell you about Portland is the infamous Powell's Books. Go there. Just do it, okay. You won't regret it.  Even if you hate reading, go, because odds are you will like it. 
The interior of Powell's Bookstore, Portland
Also, check out Northwest Portland. It is slightly less uppity than its neighbor, Portland Heights (a group of millionaire homes all perched atop a nice mountain), and you can avoid the mountainous terrain.  Another cool thing about Portland are the people. They are just so chill. They don't really care about anything except their wool coats because it's so darn cold in the winter, and they are all pretty nice. So yeah, go to Portland guys.

#4 - Paris, France
When you think of Paris, you may think of romance, or baguettes, or maybe a mime sipping wine in front of the Eiffel Tower. The stereotypes really don't do Paris justice. When I think of France, I think of the 11 p.m. walks I took down Champs-Élysées when I was there. 
The streets of Paris
I think of sitting at a bistro in the Latin Quarter with my mom, as we watched eager college students get to their next class.  I think of the Louvre, and how the Mona Lisa was really disappointing.  I think of taking the metro, sitting next to an absolute stranger and wondering what their life story is.  Go to Paris.  Trust me, falling in love with a city is totally possible.

#3 - Antigua, Guatemala
Every other year (more or less) I am lucky enough to visit some of my family in Guatemala. Antigua is a     college-backpacker-clad town, it's roads still paved with cobblestones.  I never knew that Antigua was a desirable place to visit - not to say it's not beautiful, because it is, but because I thought it was kind of isolated and not many people knew about it.  If you ever get the chance to go, walk up to Cerro de la Cruz in order to get a fascinating view of Antigua, and dine at El Tenedor (English translation: The Fork), a restaurant on a huge hill which you take a small bus to arrive at. Once you are seated at El Tenedor, you will be provided with amazing views of Volcán de Agua (Volcano of Water).  
Arco de Santa Catalina, Antigua, Guatemala
Also, don't miss out on walking underneath the Arco de Santa Catalina and viewing the local businesses - one of which where I used to take ballet lessons as a child.  The Baroque-style architecture, indigenous people wearing "huipiles," and beautiful sights are all reasons to visit Antigua.

#2 - Sydney, Australia
Sydney is one of the most popular tourist destinations all over the world - and this is for a reason.  First off, you really can't get much better with the beaches. For big waves and a good surfing experience, check out Manly Beach, but if you want a calm and relaxed swim, Balmoral Beach is a definite must.
An aerial view of Manly Beach,  Sydney, Australia
The people in Sydney couldn't be much nicer, which to an American tourist can be a great change. Walk through downtown, eat lunch in Darling Harbor, take a ferry underneath the Harbor Bridge - you won't regret it.

#1 - New York City, New York 
My favorite place I have ever visited is New York City.  Hands down.  I've been there twice, one in summer of 2011, and the most recent time, last summer in 2013.  It's spectacular.  The moment you arrive, you get and incredibly energizing feel, as if anything is possible.  If you get the chance to visit this city, by all means take the opportunity.  Some of my personal favorites of this city include The Highline, a formerly deserted railroad which was turned into a thriving garden and park elevated above the city for Yorkers and tourists alike to take.  Also, Little Italy is worth a definite check out, with Italian-themed restaurants serving multitudes of pasta and gelato.  Oh, and you can't forget Broadway.  Every time I go to New York I watch at least two Broadway plays.  Out of the five I have seen, my two ultimate favorites are Phantom of the Opera, and Rock of Ages.  Walking the Columbia University campus is also worth doing, along with checking out the quirky West Village neighborhood, in which I dream to one day live in.
NYC's West Village 


To end this post I will leave you with a quote from F. Scott Fitzgerald about New York,

"The city seen from Queensboro Bridge is always the city seen for the first time, in its first wild promise of all the mystery and beauty of the world."

xoxo,

Sylvanna 

6 comments:

  1. This post really makes me want to visit Sydney, Australia. It sounds like a wonderful and relaxing place. Plus, I absolutely love beaches, so I get the feeling that I would love it there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never been to Sydney, Australia, Antigua, Guatemala, or Paris, France. And you very right about New York-it is 100% awesome.
    Powell's Bookstore-the biggest bookstore that isn't a chain or something like that. That place is awesome!
    Great pictures, great information...all-a-round great post.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really enjoyed reading this post! The Top 5 list was a nice way to organize the information. I love how you talked about your personal impressions about the city- it really gave me a nice feel for what the place is like. The interesting quirks of each city showed me what to look out for if I visit. Also,I have to agree that the Mona Lisa at the Louvre was a bit disappointing... After reading this post, I would really like to go to New York City and Australia, although all of these destinations seem like beautiful places to visit. Looking forward to more travel posts soon!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Sylvanna! I really loved this post. This posts made me feel like I was experiencing some of these places when I was reading your descriptions. The picture also helped a lot to help me see what you were describing. Love the quote at the end as well, by the way.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My biggest regret in life is that I have never been to Powell's! Seriously, I need to make it up there sometimes. You have been to some really neat places. I am not at all surprised that Portland, with its giant independent bookstore, made your list.

    ReplyDelete